e're a small team at Frame, and rather than trying to accommodate every 3D model format under the sun, we wanted to focus our efforts on the format that we know is the best for WebVR - glTF. So, the only way to bring 3D models into Frame is with a link to a glTF model. We also ask that you package your glTF model into a .glb binary file, which unified all of the geometry and textures into one file.
Because companies like Microsoft, Facebook, and Google are adopting glTF and driving the ecosystem of glTF creation tools, creating glTF models or converting your existing models is getting easier all the time.
- To create glTF models or convert other models to glTF, we recommend browsing this collection of exporters and converters.
- To find glTF models, we recommend Sketchfab as the easiest way to find downloadable glTF models. Any downloadable model on Sketchfab can be downloaded as a .glTF file.
- Once you have your glTF model (a .gltf, a .bin, and a folder of textures), you can use this free, web-based tool from Facebook to package it all up as a .glb file.
- Once you have your .glb file, you can generate a URL for it by using this CDN tool. It will generate a URL that references your .glb file. You could also create a project on Glitch, drag the .glb to your Glitch assets folder, and then copy its URL
- In Frame, on desktop mode you can press Q to pull up the Frame Menu. Select 3D model.
PS: we'll have a direct integration with Sketchfab soon!